Preparing for a job interview is essential to making a good impression. Employ these handy job interview techniques to win over your interviewer:
- Plan to arrive on time or a few minutes early. Late arrival for a job interview is never excusable.
- Greet the interviewer by their first name.
- Wait until you are offered a chair before sitting. Sit upright and always look alert and interested. Be a good listener as well as a good talker. Smile!
- Maintain eye contact.
- Follow the interviewer's leads but try to get them to describe the position and duties early in the interview so you can relate your background and skills to the position.
- Make sure you convey your good points factually and sincerely. Keep in mind that you alone can sell yourself to an interviewer. Make them realise why they need you in their organisation.
- Always conduct yourself as if you are determined to get the job. Never close the door on an opportunity. It is better to be free to choose from a number of jobs rather than only one.